Skip to main content

A Great Day

Sometimes great days happen organically, and sometimes great days require some planning. Yesterday was a great day that falls into the latter category.


At the beginning of December, following a 3pm dentist appointment, I found myself with an hour to kill before I needed to get home to relieve Julia. I decided to go to the Village and check out a cool new store called Regeneration. While I was shopping, I ended up chatting with a neighborhood mom who was out with her 17-month-old son. Come to find out, she lives 3 blocks from us. We exchanged contact info, and I proceeded to round out my free 45 minutes with a martini and appetizer at a great local restaurant. The mom and I started e-mailing that night about getting together. She joked that we were "cut from the same cloth", because I was celebrating an unexpected free moment to myself with mussels and a martini. 


Fast forward nearly a month; I thought it might be one of those notions of a friendship that would never come to fruition. Schedules, holidays, busy lives, etc. seemed to keep getting in the way of getting together. Finally, however, with the MLK holiday upon us, the stars aligned and we had our first playdate! She & her now 18-month-old son came over in the morning. She is super cool, funny, and down-to-earth. The best part is that she lives so close! This parenting business is tough stuff, and sometimes you just need a friend nearby to call at the last minute for impromptu plans to break up a stressful day. She sent me a hilarious e-mail a few hours later about "Mommy dating", so I think we will definitely get to be better friends over the next few months. I need to remember that making new friends takes time, and sometimes you just need a little patience.


The second half of my day was also great, but this too required advance planning. I decided several weeks ago that I wanted to see a movie. Kinda funny for me, considering I have seen less than 5 movies in a movie theater in about as many years. I guess I was yearning for a little escapism. I tried to make the movie thing happen the week of New Year's (I was going to take a Thursday off from work but still have Julia come for the usual 2-6 nanny time), but an unexpected blizzard foiled my plans. From that week on, I set my sights on Martin Luther King Day. For these types of hospital holidays, if Julia is willing to work I am happy to take her up on it! It allows me to do a little shopping once in awhile without the kids. This time I decided it was all about seeing a matinee, something that is pretty much impossible to do under the current schedule.


At our last get-together I mentioned to my MOT friend, Wendy, that this was my plan. She got a glimmer in her eye and said she would check if her husband had the day off so that she could join me. He ended up being scheduled to work, but he's such a good husband that he took a VACATION day so that she could have an afternoon of fun with me! We met up for a late, long lunch at PF Chang - it was the first time we've ever gotten together without 4 little ones needing our attention! After lunch we headed over to the theatre. Unfortunately "The Fighter" didn't have any showtimes that fit with my nanny schedule, so we ended up settling on "True Grit". I have to say, it was exactly what I was in the mood for! Buttery popcorn and soda, a quiet, dark movie theatre, and a (funny!) Coen brothers western featuring the toughest 14-year-old heroine you could ever imagine. It wasn't the movie that either Wendy or I would choose if we had our pick of any, but it definitely provided 2 hours of mindless entertainment. We even had time to sneak into H&M for 20 minutes of shopping before I needed to head home.


It's amazing how rejuvenated I feel after these kinds of great days. I've already put the bug in Wendy's ear about the possibilities for President's Day ;) All it takes is a little planning...



Comments

  1. Oh, I'm TOTALLY in for Presidents Day...this time I want the movie.

    How can we figure that out?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Let's talk to my nanny! She'll totally take all 3 kids so the mommies can play!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Silas' Blog

Well it's been a busy 3 years since I last posted! Stay tuned as we may have more posts coming now that it looks like I have a new contributor... Silas recently read a book called "Starting Your Own Blog", and now he is bound and determined for us to let him start his own blog! We convinced him that he should start out by drafting content and a posting calendar. We made templates this morning and he wrote his first "post" today!

Parks

We decided to get Zoe's haircut on Saturday morning at a place geared towards kids called Snip-Its . Neither Derek nor I anticipated what a meltdown Zoe was going to have. The haircut is half-assed at best and Derek will have to fix it when she's more calm. We were so traumatized that we headed to the park to get the day going on a better foot! We went back to Larz Anderson, the park where the  Psychiatry picnic was held on Thursday . It is really close to our house and is lovely and shaded. I think it's one of my new favorite spots! The kids like it too :) S&Z love playing with wood chips, so there was a lot of that! Snacks were enjoyed on the bench and I tried to get a few pictures of the haircut... Excuse me, I'm chewing pretzels :) This morning we met up with Wendy, Dave, Sydney & Ivy at the Newton Center Playground. It was HOT HOT HOT, and there wasn't too much shade. The kids have inherited my low tolerance for heat, so they spe

York's Wild Kingdom

Friday was our last day of vacation and check-out time at Village by the Sea was 10am. We wanted to do one last fun thing before coming back to Boston, so we headed to York's Wild Kingdom in York, Maine. The zoo had just opened when we got there, and apparently lots of other families had the same idea as us! This zoo is definitely aimed for little kids, and Silas and Zoe (and Derek!) had a blast! Our first stop was the butterfly sanctuary, and this was definitely my favorite part of the day... We had the kids both in and out of the stroller throughout our visit. The zoo was packed with people, so it was a little nuts having them roam free and try to manage an empty double stroller too. But they were happier to get in and out of the stroller at their leisure with all the walking. There were several highlights for the kids - all of which involved feeding the animals from your hand. One was the duck pond, The deer were pretty awesome, As was the petting zoo