Skip to main content

365: Day 208- A Hike, in Pictures

7/28/13: We planned on having a beach day today, but it was cloudy and damp this morning and the weather forecast didn't look promising for the afternoon. Zoe & Silas were super disappointed, and so we started the morning off with questions 1-5 of 974 for the day.

Why can't we go to the beach? Why is it going to rain? Can we blow bubbles now? Why is it going to rain? Where does rain come from?


After breakfast I found them sitting on their deck chairs inside the entryway, looking outside. Sometimes I have glimpses of them when they're 80 years old, and this was one of those times.


If we weren't going to have a good beach day our runner-up activity would be going to Hale Reservation. Seriously, it's my favorite spot. I am in heaven when I'm there. I told Derek in the middle of our hike that if I die tomorrow he can sprinkle my ashes into the waterfall that we discovered today.


We took a new trail and it was just awesome. 


A woman I talked to last year told me there is a small waterfall near one of the ponds and I have been on a quest to find it ever since. Today was the day!


Unfortunately we may have also gotten poison ivy :( The tree to the left of Zoe was covered in it, but I didn't know that until it was too late. The incubation period is anywhere from 6 hours to 3 days. So far we're clear but if the kids have a reaction it's going to be all over their arms and hands. We'll see what happens in the next few days.


We hiked all around Storrow Pond. There were tons of mosquitoes, and dragonflies eating mosquitoes. We also saw (and heard) a few frogs. 


We also found lots of evidence of either beavers or woodchucks.


We found an amazing, secluded picnic shelter in which to have our lunch.


It was a beautiful, peaceful 2.5 hours spent in the woods. And guess how many people we saw? ZERO.


amazing.


*****

Cook's Notes: Two successes and one total and complete failure. The Three-Bean Salad that I prepared last night was tangy and delicious; I will definitely make this again. It would be a great make-ahead dish to bring to a BBQ or potluck. We tried BBQ Chicken Burgers from Weelicious and these were a hit with all of us. The only downside is that the BBQ sauce makes them too moist to survive the grill grates; Derek did them on top of the stove. The failure was the Cabbage and Lime Salad with Roasted Peanuts. I used all Farmer's Market ingredients; I wilted the cabbage for 2 hours; I made the homemade dressing. Derek took the first bite and realized that our peanut oil had gone rancid. We had to throw the entire salad in the trash.

You win some, and you definitely lose some.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Silas' Blog

Well it's been a busy 3 years since I last posted! Stay tuned as we may have more posts coming now that it looks like I have a new contributor... Silas recently read a book called "Starting Your Own Blog", and now he is bound and determined for us to let him start his own blog! We convinced him that he should start out by drafting content and a posting calendar. We made templates this morning and he wrote his first "post" today!

Parks

We decided to get Zoe's haircut on Saturday morning at a place geared towards kids called Snip-Its . Neither Derek nor I anticipated what a meltdown Zoe was going to have. The haircut is half-assed at best and Derek will have to fix it when she's more calm. We were so traumatized that we headed to the park to get the day going on a better foot! We went back to Larz Anderson, the park where the  Psychiatry picnic was held on Thursday . It is really close to our house and is lovely and shaded. I think it's one of my new favorite spots! The kids like it too :) S&Z love playing with wood chips, so there was a lot of that! Snacks were enjoyed on the bench and I tried to get a few pictures of the haircut... Excuse me, I'm chewing pretzels :) This morning we met up with Wendy, Dave, Sydney & Ivy at the Newton Center Playground. It was HOT HOT HOT, and there wasn't too much shade. The kids have inherited my low tolerance for heat, so they spe

York's Wild Kingdom

Friday was our last day of vacation and check-out time at Village by the Sea was 10am. We wanted to do one last fun thing before coming back to Boston, so we headed to York's Wild Kingdom in York, Maine. The zoo had just opened when we got there, and apparently lots of other families had the same idea as us! This zoo is definitely aimed for little kids, and Silas and Zoe (and Derek!) had a blast! Our first stop was the butterfly sanctuary, and this was definitely my favorite part of the day... We had the kids both in and out of the stroller throughout our visit. The zoo was packed with people, so it was a little nuts having them roam free and try to manage an empty double stroller too. But they were happier to get in and out of the stroller at their leisure with all the walking. There were several highlights for the kids - all of which involved feeding the animals from your hand. One was the duck pond, The deer were pretty awesome, As was the petting zoo