Skip to main content

365: Day 157- Milestones


6/7/13: The kids are really into scissors the last few months. They can sit for long periods of time just cutting paper.


It was just too good to be true this morning - no fighting, just sitting at the table cutting up some calendars we got as a part of BPS school lottery registration. I wasn't feeling well (summer cold) and Derek was still waking up, so we took full advantage of them being "occupied" with the scissors and paper for ~ an hour. Finally we cleaned up the paper mess and got everyone dressed to go grocery shopping.

On their way to Stop 'n Shop Derek called to report that Silas had (intentionally) cut his pants with his scissors.  A few minutes later I pulled into the Trader Joe's parking lot and as I was getting Zoe out of the van I could see a small chunk of bangs cut at the hairline. She told me she cut it because her hair was getting in her eyes. You can see it in the picture below:


Little girls cutting their own (or others'!) hair seems to be a rite of passage, and I knew this day would come sometime. Thankfully it's not as bad as it could be!

By way of other Zoe milestones: she was practicing writing some letters yesterday (primarily 'Z') and then she drew this - S&Z!!! She finished it off by sticking a "big kid" sticker on it!

 

Today she was bombarding me with questions about the songs on the radio in the car. "What kind of song is this?" is the question she asked over and over again. After hearing the last few verses of the Icona Pop song "I Love It", I heard her little voice coming from the back seat, 

"I don't care, I love it.
I don't care, I love it, I love it.
I don't care, I love it.
I don't care."

I about died. Indeed, Zoe, it IS a catchy tune. 

****
It's rainy and cool today so we made Slow Cooker Curried Chickpea Soup. The only thing I changed this time was I shredded the zucchini instead of chopping it - I liked the consistency better and S&Z didn't complain about the chunks of zucchini. The kids don't care for broth so I used a slotted spoon and served the chickpeas and vegetables over brown rice.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Silas' Blog

Well it's been a busy 3 years since I last posted! Stay tuned as we may have more posts coming now that it looks like I have a new contributor... Silas recently read a book called "Starting Your Own Blog", and now he is bound and determined for us to let him start his own blog! We convinced him that he should start out by drafting content and a posting calendar. We made templates this morning and he wrote his first "post" today!

Parks

We decided to get Zoe's haircut on Saturday morning at a place geared towards kids called Snip-Its . Neither Derek nor I anticipated what a meltdown Zoe was going to have. The haircut is half-assed at best and Derek will have to fix it when she's more calm. We were so traumatized that we headed to the park to get the day going on a better foot! We went back to Larz Anderson, the park where the  Psychiatry picnic was held on Thursday . It is really close to our house and is lovely and shaded. I think it's one of my new favorite spots! The kids like it too :) S&Z love playing with wood chips, so there was a lot of that! Snacks were enjoyed on the bench and I tried to get a few pictures of the haircut... Excuse me, I'm chewing pretzels :) This morning we met up with Wendy, Dave, Sydney & Ivy at the Newton Center Playground. It was HOT HOT HOT, and there wasn't too much shade. The kids have inherited my low tolerance for heat, so they spe

York's Wild Kingdom

Friday was our last day of vacation and check-out time at Village by the Sea was 10am. We wanted to do one last fun thing before coming back to Boston, so we headed to York's Wild Kingdom in York, Maine. The zoo had just opened when we got there, and apparently lots of other families had the same idea as us! This zoo is definitely aimed for little kids, and Silas and Zoe (and Derek!) had a blast! Our first stop was the butterfly sanctuary, and this was definitely my favorite part of the day... We had the kids both in and out of the stroller throughout our visit. The zoo was packed with people, so it was a little nuts having them roam free and try to manage an empty double stroller too. But they were happier to get in and out of the stroller at their leisure with all the walking. There were several highlights for the kids - all of which involved feeding the animals from your hand. One was the duck pond, The deer were pretty awesome, As was the petting zoo