Skip to main content

365: Day 49- Lights Out


2/18/13: S&Z were playing in their room shortly before bedtime last night when the power went out. Unfortunately I was in the kitchen when it happened so they were totally traumatized as soon as we were plunged into darkness. They immediately started screaming so I grabbed my phone and opened up the Flashlight app as quickly as I could so that I could corral them and get us to mine & Derek's bedroom where the real flashlights are kept. Once I got them settled on our bed I grabbed the Pooh bears, a few books, candles, and a box of crackers. I quickly worked on figuring out if the power outage was just in our apartment, our building, or our block. I called our landlord who called NStar on our behalf. 

It was interesting to see how each of the kids dealt with this stressful circumstance. Whenever I needed to leave the bedroom to do something, Silas wanted to hold the flashlight and be right by my side. He refused to stay in the bedroom. Zoe, on the other hand, found navigating around the house in the dark very stressful so she preferred to stay hunkered down on our bed with Pooh and the lantern. She was also exhausted because it was so close to bedtime, and I suspect her autonomic nervous system completely flooded out her usual coping mechanisms. She would periodically call after us, "you're coming back?". After we got situated we read books and snuggled on the bed, and the lights came back on after about 45 minutes.

The first thing they talked about when they woke up both this morning and from nap today was the power outage. I tried to use this situation as a learning opportunity - we talked about how although they were scared, we were together, and how we used our problem solving skills to figure out how to make things manageable until the lights came back on...


Prior to the power outage, this was going to be my picture of the day. Silas was being a misanthrope at bedtime and he ended up in an extended timeout. After the usual 3-4 minutes in timeout I asked him if he was ready to cooperate with the bedtime routine and get washed up. Several times he replied, "NO, I WON'T!". He announced several times that he was going to flush me down the drain. 

After about 10 minutes of this, he sweetly said, "I'm ready now!". As soon as I let him out of timeout he went happily running to the bathroom where he brushed his teeth and washed his face and hands without any prompting. A few minutes later we lost power...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Silas' Blog

Well it's been a busy 3 years since I last posted! Stay tuned as we may have more posts coming now that it looks like I have a new contributor... Silas recently read a book called "Starting Your Own Blog", and now he is bound and determined for us to let him start his own blog! We convinced him that he should start out by drafting content and a posting calendar. We made templates this morning and he wrote his first "post" today!

Parks

We decided to get Zoe's haircut on Saturday morning at a place geared towards kids called Snip-Its . Neither Derek nor I anticipated what a meltdown Zoe was going to have. The haircut is half-assed at best and Derek will have to fix it when she's more calm. We were so traumatized that we headed to the park to get the day going on a better foot! We went back to Larz Anderson, the park where the  Psychiatry picnic was held on Thursday . It is really close to our house and is lovely and shaded. I think it's one of my new favorite spots! The kids like it too :) S&Z love playing with wood chips, so there was a lot of that! Snacks were enjoyed on the bench and I tried to get a few pictures of the haircut... Excuse me, I'm chewing pretzels :) This morning we met up with Wendy, Dave, Sydney & Ivy at the Newton Center Playground. It was HOT HOT HOT, and there wasn't too much shade. The kids have inherited my low tolerance for heat, so they spe

York's Wild Kingdom

Friday was our last day of vacation and check-out time at Village by the Sea was 10am. We wanted to do one last fun thing before coming back to Boston, so we headed to York's Wild Kingdom in York, Maine. The zoo had just opened when we got there, and apparently lots of other families had the same idea as us! This zoo is definitely aimed for little kids, and Silas and Zoe (and Derek!) had a blast! Our first stop was the butterfly sanctuary, and this was definitely my favorite part of the day... We had the kids both in and out of the stroller throughout our visit. The zoo was packed with people, so it was a little nuts having them roam free and try to manage an empty double stroller too. But they were happier to get in and out of the stroller at their leisure with all the walking. There were several highlights for the kids - all of which involved feeding the animals from your hand. One was the duck pond, The deer were pretty awesome, As was the petting zoo