Skip to main content

Winter Cooking (for Kids)

When I was growing up, I remember my mom spending one entire weekend day each week in the kitchen. She loved to cook and she made everything from scratch, including all of our bread. She was also a single mom to me & my sister and we didn't have a lot of money. At one point in my childhood she held down 3 jobs. I imagine that part of the reason for the weekly cooking fest was related to necessity - there was no time to cook during the week. We lived in North Dakota and the weather was brutal at times, so we always had a deep freeze stocked with plenty of food for when a blizzard struck. These memories have stayed with me and to this day I always have a fully stocked pantry.

So when talk of a blizzard started yesterday, I could feel the kitchen itch coming on. It's hard to spend the day cooking the way I used to, but Silas & Zoe were very cooperative today. Now that Silas is walking, the two of them have so much fun playing bumper cars with their push toys and toodling all over the house! As I write this, the kids are fast asleep and I am getting together Spaghetti Pie for dinner and listening to my favorite winter album, December.

Earlier today I cooked S&Z a frittata. This has become a lunchtime staple for us - both Derek & I make them and we each put our own spin on it, depending on what we have on hand. We typically use 4 eggs and this turns into the lunch main course for 3-4 meals.

S&Z's Favorite Frittata
4 large eggs
A handful of frozen chopped spinach
A handful of chopped onion (I always have frozen chopped onion on hand)
A handful of chopped peppers (we use Trader Joe's tri-color frozen peppers)
A handful of shredded cheese of choice
Salt and pepper
1 T. Olive oil
Pureed cauliflower (optional). More on this below.

1. Adjust oven rack to top position and heat broiler. Whisk eggs, pureed cauliflower if available, 1/4 tsp. salt and 1/4 tsp. pepper in large bowl.
2. Heat 1 T. olive oil in large ovensafe nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until just smoking. Add spinach, peppers and onion and cook until just tender, about 5 minutes. Add egg mixture and cook, stirring with rubber spatula, until large curds form but eggs are still very wet, about 2 minutes. Shake skillet to distribute eggs evenly and cook, without stirring, until bottom is set, about 30 seconds. Sprinkle shredded cheese over top.
3. Broil until surface is spotty brown, 3-5 minutes. Remove from oven and let stand 5 minutes. Flip frittata over onto cutting board and cut into 1" pieces for the enjoyment of little fingers. Let cool before serving.

-----------------

Later in the afternoon I made what are essentially tuna burgers. This recipe started out from Paula Deen's Salmon Croquettes, and has morphed over time.

Salmon/Tuna Patties
1 can tuna or salmon (we use Trader Joe's), drained
Handful of shredded carrot or zucchini
1 egg, beaten
2 green onions, finely chopped
3 T. grape nuts (or breadcrumbs), finely ground in a spice grinder
1 T. olive oil or vegetable oil

In a large bowl, mix together salmon/tuna, green onions, shredded veg, beaten egg, and grape nuts or breadcrumbs. I use ground up grape nuts instead of breadcrumbs or crackers to get an extra pack of iron; I add finely shredded vegetables to everything imaginable (Zoe is showing the initial signs of pickiness). Zucchini adds some moistness, so this is my veg of choice for recipes like this. Form into patties. I often refrigerate for 20 minutes or stick in the freezer for 5-10 minutes in order to set before cooking. Heat oil in a skillet and cook the patties until golden brown on each side.

-----------------

I allude to one kid trick in each recipe. In the frittata recipe we add pureed cauliflower. This is a general theme in the awesome cookbook, Deceptively Delicious, by Jessica Seinfeld. The other trick is adding finely shredded vegetables to anything and everything. I use zucchini and/or carrots in the salmon burgers, and I do the same for turkey burgers. This is one way to know that there is a veg being eaten, in the event that the straight up side of broccoli or peas is being refused :)

-----------------

Roasted Potatoes

This is great finger food so I roast up veggies every week. Today it was simple,

2 sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed into 1" dice
2 yukon gold potatoes, peeled and cubed into 1" dice
Olive oil
Salt and pepper

Preheat oven to 425. In a large bowl, drizzle potatoes with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Arrange potatoes in a single layer on a rimmed baking sheet. Roast vegetables for ~ 35-45 minutes, until they can be easily pierced. Let cool and serve.

-----------------

The spaghetti pie is out of the oven and I'm exhausted - all this food thought is making me hungry!

Note, 12/29/10
S&Z LOVED the spaghetti pie, here's the proof!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Silas' Blog

Well it's been a busy 3 years since I last posted! Stay tuned as we may have more posts coming now that it looks like I have a new contributor... Silas recently read a book called "Starting Your Own Blog", and now he is bound and determined for us to let him start his own blog! We convinced him that he should start out by drafting content and a posting calendar. We made templates this morning and he wrote his first "post" today!

Parks

We decided to get Zoe's haircut on Saturday morning at a place geared towards kids called Snip-Its . Neither Derek nor I anticipated what a meltdown Zoe was going to have. The haircut is half-assed at best and Derek will have to fix it when she's more calm. We were so traumatized that we headed to the park to get the day going on a better foot! We went back to Larz Anderson, the park where the  Psychiatry picnic was held on Thursday . It is really close to our house and is lovely and shaded. I think it's one of my new favorite spots! The kids like it too :) S&Z love playing with wood chips, so there was a lot of that! Snacks were enjoyed on the bench and I tried to get a few pictures of the haircut... Excuse me, I'm chewing pretzels :) This morning we met up with Wendy, Dave, Sydney & Ivy at the Newton Center Playground. It was HOT HOT HOT, and there wasn't too much shade. The kids have inherited my low tolerance for heat, so they spe

York's Wild Kingdom

Friday was our last day of vacation and check-out time at Village by the Sea was 10am. We wanted to do one last fun thing before coming back to Boston, so we headed to York's Wild Kingdom in York, Maine. The zoo had just opened when we got there, and apparently lots of other families had the same idea as us! This zoo is definitely aimed for little kids, and Silas and Zoe (and Derek!) had a blast! Our first stop was the butterfly sanctuary, and this was definitely my favorite part of the day... We had the kids both in and out of the stroller throughout our visit. The zoo was packed with people, so it was a little nuts having them roam free and try to manage an empty double stroller too. But they were happier to get in and out of the stroller at their leisure with all the walking. There were several highlights for the kids - all of which involved feeding the animals from your hand. One was the duck pond, The deer were pretty awesome, As was the petting zoo