Skip to main content

Nelson Lab Holiday Party, 2010 Edition

We had the annual Nelson lab holiday party at Chuck & Gwen's house on Saturday night. This is the second year that Silas & Zoe have been able to attend!

Same as last year, the big question leading up to the party was what were they going to wear? We got received some great hand-me-down holiday clothes from my co-worker, Ellen, and Zoe actually had several adorable choices. We opted for a cream and read snowflake dress with red and white striped tights. I was able to get a few pictures of her goofing around before their nap, while Daddy dressed Silas in his red Christmas overalls in the other room...




Zoe's everyday Stride Rite shoes just wouldn't do with this dress, so I decided to buy her a pair of inexpensive patent maryjane's at Target. When I put them on her last weekend she cried and cried. I figured out it was because the soles were so thick that she couldn't feel the ground. After leaving them on her for 30 minutes, she finally got up and walked around. I thought there might be hope for the party outfit after all! (turn down your volume, b/c Silas is crying in the background of this little video).


Zoe was super cranky after their nap before the party, however, and she did NOT want to wear the shoes. Silas decided to try and help his sister figure out how to take them off.


What a good brother he is!!!

Their shoe removal efforts were unsuccessful and I ultimately decided to take the shoes off until we were ready to get in the car, largely because Zoe wouldn't stop crying. I put them back on right before we walked out the door. When I tried to set her down at Chuck's house, she started crying as soon as her feet hit the ground. I took the shoes off and she happily toodled around in her tights all night. I decided that there will be many battles with my strong-willed daughter in the years to come, and the shoe battle is just not worth it! Zoe definitely won that one :)

Unfortunately Derek wasn't able to attend the party since it was at a time that he has to sleep. My friends at work knew it was going to be a little tough with me flying solo, so everyone was super helpful.

Silas again proved that he knows how to work a room full of lovely ladies. Upon arrival he immediately put his arms out to Chuck's wife, Gwen, and he snuggled up while I got Zoe out of the car. Here he is with Kristin, an RA on the infant sib project.

Later on he took a break from exploring Chuck's house for a snuggle with Stacey.

I brought along a few toys which they initially ignored, but we were able to corral them into the entryway a few times in an attempt to keep them out of trouble.

S&Z's pal, Oliver, was at the party too. The 3 of them had fun hanging out while everyone ate and socialized.


The kids got in on where all the yankee swap action was happening. S&Z were already in their pj's by this point of the evening.


All of them were ready to turn into pumpkins by the time the yankee swap was over.


Sonya helped me load Zoe and Silas in the car, they fell asleep on the short drive home, and they went straight into their cribs for a late bedtime. It was another fun holiday celebration with all my friends & co-workers!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Silas' Blog

Well it's been a busy 3 years since I last posted! Stay tuned as we may have more posts coming now that it looks like I have a new contributor... Silas recently read a book called "Starting Your Own Blog", and now he is bound and determined for us to let him start his own blog! We convinced him that he should start out by drafting content and a posting calendar. We made templates this morning and he wrote his first "post" today!

Parks

We decided to get Zoe's haircut on Saturday morning at a place geared towards kids called Snip-Its . Neither Derek nor I anticipated what a meltdown Zoe was going to have. The haircut is half-assed at best and Derek will have to fix it when she's more calm. We were so traumatized that we headed to the park to get the day going on a better foot! We went back to Larz Anderson, the park where the  Psychiatry picnic was held on Thursday . It is really close to our house and is lovely and shaded. I think it's one of my new favorite spots! The kids like it too :) S&Z love playing with wood chips, so there was a lot of that! Snacks were enjoyed on the bench and I tried to get a few pictures of the haircut... Excuse me, I'm chewing pretzels :) This morning we met up with Wendy, Dave, Sydney & Ivy at the Newton Center Playground. It was HOT HOT HOT, and there wasn't too much shade. The kids have inherited my low tolerance for heat, so they spe

York's Wild Kingdom

Friday was our last day of vacation and check-out time at Village by the Sea was 10am. We wanted to do one last fun thing before coming back to Boston, so we headed to York's Wild Kingdom in York, Maine. The zoo had just opened when we got there, and apparently lots of other families had the same idea as us! This zoo is definitely aimed for little kids, and Silas and Zoe (and Derek!) had a blast! Our first stop was the butterfly sanctuary, and this was definitely my favorite part of the day... We had the kids both in and out of the stroller throughout our visit. The zoo was packed with people, so it was a little nuts having them roam free and try to manage an empty double stroller too. But they were happier to get in and out of the stroller at their leisure with all the walking. There were several highlights for the kids - all of which involved feeding the animals from your hand. One was the duck pond, The deer were pretty awesome, As was the petting zoo