Skip to main content

A Very Happy Birthday

As my 35th birthday has been approaching, I have felt that it's a "big one". For me, I guess this has been true for 16, 18, 21, 25, 30 and now 35... Well, now that I think about it, maybe we celebrated pretty big at a few others along the way. Here was my 29th,


And really, of my close friends, who can forget my 30th????


Yup, that's me on a piano.


And then of course Rachel & I instantly became best friends as soon as we realized that we share the EXACT SAME birthday! 31 was pretty darn fun too because we threw ourselves a party!


The following year, SRCD (our big biennial child development conference) was held in Boston just in time for my 32nd, and Dana, along with a lot of other friends were in town!




And then just one year ago today we were all together again at SRCD in Denver! Tracy, Ariel, Kristin, me & Kathy celebrated by having dinner at a cuban restaurant. I was 9-1/2 weeks pregnant and sans sangria or mojito. It's so strange for me to think about that time because I didn't yet know that I was having twins!!


We also had an awesome get-together at Kelly & Scott's beautiful house!


So far THIS "big" birthday has been fantastic! I started getting birthday messages a day early, and I skype'd with Mom & Dave on Weds night. It's so great to be able to talk to them, as well as Dad & Mary, "in person"! Derek gave me lots of birthday hugs and kisses when he got up for work, so I went to bed with a birthday buzz already about me! I was serenaded on Thursday at 5:15am by Zoe dearest, who decided to sing mommy an early birthday song in honor of the big day :) She fell back asleep after singing, and then Silas kicked in with joyful shrieking at 6am, a half-hour earlier than normal. The babies were perfect angels once they were officially up and we had a very fun morning!

Eliza, one of my very sweet co-workers, brought me birthday flowers for the SECOND time in the 3 years we've worked together!


Then the entire lab, including Chuck, surprised me with a cake after the LCN meeting! It was so sweet and such a surprise because we don't really formally celebrate birthday's since our lab has gotten so darn big!


I got home from work, very excited to hang out with my "posse" (aka, the babies). Julia greeted me by singing happy birthday and she also brought me a cake!!!! She could only find an Easter cake, and it reminded me of a fun birthday party I had when I was 3 or 4 years old and we had a race by rolling plastic eggs with our noses for one of the games! Unfortunately I don't have digital pictures of that birthday celebration :( But here's one of the cake that Julia gave me!


Fortunately, or unfortunately, depending on your perspective, my posse cashed in early. Overall, however, they were fantastic company and I wouldn't trade this day for the world!!!



I can't wait for the birthday celebration to continue when we have dinner in the North End on Saturday night with Rachel & Keith!!!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Silas' Blog

Well it's been a busy 3 years since I last posted! Stay tuned as we may have more posts coming now that it looks like I have a new contributor... Silas recently read a book called "Starting Your Own Blog", and now he is bound and determined for us to let him start his own blog! We convinced him that he should start out by drafting content and a posting calendar. We made templates this morning and he wrote his first "post" today!

Parks

We decided to get Zoe's haircut on Saturday morning at a place geared towards kids called Snip-Its . Neither Derek nor I anticipated what a meltdown Zoe was going to have. The haircut is half-assed at best and Derek will have to fix it when she's more calm. We were so traumatized that we headed to the park to get the day going on a better foot! We went back to Larz Anderson, the park where the  Psychiatry picnic was held on Thursday . It is really close to our house and is lovely and shaded. I think it's one of my new favorite spots! The kids like it too :) S&Z love playing with wood chips, so there was a lot of that! Snacks were enjoyed on the bench and I tried to get a few pictures of the haircut... Excuse me, I'm chewing pretzels :) This morning we met up with Wendy, Dave, Sydney & Ivy at the Newton Center Playground. It was HOT HOT HOT, and there wasn't too much shade. The kids have inherited my low tolerance for heat, so they spe

York's Wild Kingdom

Friday was our last day of vacation and check-out time at Village by the Sea was 10am. We wanted to do one last fun thing before coming back to Boston, so we headed to York's Wild Kingdom in York, Maine. The zoo had just opened when we got there, and apparently lots of other families had the same idea as us! This zoo is definitely aimed for little kids, and Silas and Zoe (and Derek!) had a blast! Our first stop was the butterfly sanctuary, and this was definitely my favorite part of the day... We had the kids both in and out of the stroller throughout our visit. The zoo was packed with people, so it was a little nuts having them roam free and try to manage an empty double stroller too. But they were happier to get in and out of the stroller at their leisure with all the walking. There were several highlights for the kids - all of which involved feeding the animals from your hand. One was the duck pond, The deer were pretty awesome, As was the petting zoo