Skip to main content

The Voice of Reason

"Fear" and "anxiety" are two emotions that I have been experiencing a lot recently. I always thought that having one baby would be a piece of cake, but now that we know we are having two I'm freaking out a little. This freakout can manifest in a number of different ways, depending on the day. Just ask Derek (who is getting closer to sainthood every day of this pregnancy). So one thing I've been looking forward to is having lunch with Eugenia, a developmental pediatrician who works in my department. Eugenia also happens to have 2-1/2-year-old identical twin girls. Eugenia was the voice of reason today that I have desperately needed to hear. "It's going to be okay. You can do this," she said several times during the course of our two hour lunch. But most of what she gave me today was really good, sound, practical advice from a mom who knows what it's like to have two babies.

One of the things I am currently freaking out about is "stuff". Babies need a lot of stuff, and when you multiply this times two, the stuff a) is expensive, and b) can take over your life. Derek and I have recently started registering for said stuff, and I am keeping a running tally in my head of the stuff we will have to buy if we do not receive it as a baby shower gift. Registering for baby stuff is very different from registering for wedding stuff. For a wedding, couples pick out small appliances and towels and china, but their lives as a wedded couple will go on if they don't get a service set for 12. With babies, however, you actually do need 80-90% of the stuff that goes onto your registry. Babies 'R Us has figured this out and will offer you 10% off the remaining items on your registry ~ 2 weeks before your due date. They have your number. They know you need the stuff.

When we thought we were having one baby I really wanted all brand new stuff. "We're going to have another baby in a few years" I would say, "I want to start with new stuff." This approach to parenthood has been thrown out the window. Not because I don't possibly want another baby in the future, but because we simply can't afford all new stuff.

Now that we have figured out what we need, I have begun scouring the JP Moms classified ads and craigslist. For example, last night we identified the double stroller we want at Magic Beans. The "Mountain Buggy Urban Double" sells for a mere $749, not including the rain cover and sun cover. On craigslist today I actually found a family in JP today selling this exact stroller for $175! We are hoping to go and look at it tomorrow! Fingers crossed that it is in good shape...

Not only was Eugenia the voice of reason I needed today, but she is also selling us two cribs for $400. In addition, she is "throwing in" random crib sheets, mattress protectors, a large pack-and-play, two booster seats, a double stroller frame, two baby gates, a double diaper bag, and a bottle dishwasher rack. Half of the stuff she is giving us just got thrown in during our conversation today!

Eugenia also helped me figure out what items we need two of (swings = parents' sleep savior), and what items we can pare down and get by with just one (bouncy seat). I promptly updated our registry accordingly! She also put me in touch with two other parents who are itching to get rid of their stuff. The first thing she told me is to buy the book Baby Bargains. I think I will pick it up on my way home from work today.

What I have concluded is that this stuff thing just comes around and goes around. I am sure that we will be oh-too-happy to pass along our stuff to someone who needs it in the coming years!

Now, onto my next freakout...

Comments

  1. Baby Bargains is an awesome resource. We pretty much just registered for everything they recommend in their sample registry. Babies do need a lot of stuff, but the good news is that babies get a lot of shower gifts. And hand-me-down baby gear is awesome - we inherited an exersaucer, a swing, a jogging stroller, etc, from parents who just wanted the stuff out of their house! Hope the stroller worked out!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Silas' Blog

Well it's been a busy 3 years since I last posted! Stay tuned as we may have more posts coming now that it looks like I have a new contributor... Silas recently read a book called "Starting Your Own Blog", and now he is bound and determined for us to let him start his own blog! We convinced him that he should start out by drafting content and a posting calendar. We made templates this morning and he wrote his first "post" today!

Parks

We decided to get Zoe's haircut on Saturday morning at a place geared towards kids called Snip-Its . Neither Derek nor I anticipated what a meltdown Zoe was going to have. The haircut is half-assed at best and Derek will have to fix it when she's more calm. We were so traumatized that we headed to the park to get the day going on a better foot! We went back to Larz Anderson, the park where the  Psychiatry picnic was held on Thursday . It is really close to our house and is lovely and shaded. I think it's one of my new favorite spots! The kids like it too :) S&Z love playing with wood chips, so there was a lot of that! Snacks were enjoyed on the bench and I tried to get a few pictures of the haircut... Excuse me, I'm chewing pretzels :) This morning we met up with Wendy, Dave, Sydney & Ivy at the Newton Center Playground. It was HOT HOT HOT, and there wasn't too much shade. The kids have inherited my low tolerance for heat, so they spe

York's Wild Kingdom

Friday was our last day of vacation and check-out time at Village by the Sea was 10am. We wanted to do one last fun thing before coming back to Boston, so we headed to York's Wild Kingdom in York, Maine. The zoo had just opened when we got there, and apparently lots of other families had the same idea as us! This zoo is definitely aimed for little kids, and Silas and Zoe (and Derek!) had a blast! Our first stop was the butterfly sanctuary, and this was definitely my favorite part of the day... We had the kids both in and out of the stroller throughout our visit. The zoo was packed with people, so it was a little nuts having them roam free and try to manage an empty double stroller too. But they were happier to get in and out of the stroller at their leisure with all the walking. There were several highlights for the kids - all of which involved feeding the animals from your hand. One was the duck pond, The deer were pretty awesome, As was the petting zoo