Skip to main content

365: Day 211- A Visit to Aveda

7/30/14: Mom, her new hip and I headed out for a walk around the island this morning. The weather was beautiful!


This afternoon we were invited to visit Auntie Stephanie at work at the Aveda Headquarters in Blaine. In preparation for the visit Zoe & Silas made cards for Stephanie to go with a gift they planned to give her.


When we arrived we headed to see Auntie's office, where S&Z gave her the cards and a rock they painted with glitter glue.


After lunch we headed out on a nature walk with Melissa, the Director of Community Outreach, to see the bee colony.


We stopped to see the community garden, as well as countless other treasures along the way!


After making it to the colony where over 200,000 bees work hard pollinating and making honey, S&Z each received a very special bee pin to commemorate our visit.


Stephanie has worked for Aveda for 15 years. It was an amazing opportunity to be able to meet her co-workers and tour the campus of such an environmentally-focused company!


When we got home S&Z made thank you cards for Melissa that are adorned with bees :)


I was very grateful to have a "date night" with my Dad tonight - we had a wonderful time being able to catch up without being distracted by constant interruptions from the 4-year-olds (there will be lots of time with G&G W. and the kids tomorrow & Friday!)! On my way back out to Sue & Bob's I pulled over to catch this gorgeous sunset...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Silas' Blog

Well it's been a busy 3 years since I last posted! Stay tuned as we may have more posts coming now that it looks like I have a new contributor... Silas recently read a book called "Starting Your Own Blog", and now he is bound and determined for us to let him start his own blog! We convinced him that he should start out by drafting content and a posting calendar. We made templates this morning and he wrote his first "post" today!

Today

Today I went to a yoga class for the first time in far too many years. It felt wonderful and pushed me out of my comfort zone. I can't wait to go back! Today Derek gave Silas his traditional mid-summer haircut. Today the weather was perfect and we enjoyed bike rides (them) / a walk (me) in the park after lunch. Today Zoe chased the cats until they succumbed to her love and adoration. Today I put the garbage on the curb for weekly pickup and realized that we didn't have any! We recycle and compost far more than we throw away. I am grateful to be able to teach Zoe & Silas these habits. Empty trash barrel Countertop compost bin  Backyard compost bin that we bought at Town Hall Food compost, including the hair from Silas' haircut today! Today I checked on the rooftop vegetable patio garden - it's doing great! Today we went school supply shopping so that I can enjoy the last month of summer without worrying abou...

Curried Chickpeas and Cauliflower

I made this for dinner tonight after returning later than expected from a fun afternoon at the park. I love it because a) it can be ready in 30 minutes, b) it is made with pantry ingredients, and c) it is full of bold flavors, which Silas in particular loves! Curried Chickpeas and Cauliflower Adapted from Budget Bytes 2   Tbsp olive oil or coconut oil 1/2  head cauliflower, chopped into florets 1  med yellow onion (or frozen chopped onion, which is one of my favorite shortcuts) 2  cloves garlic (or pre-minced garlic, another go-to shortcut) 1  Tbsp curry powder 1/2  tsp cumin seeds 1  (15 oz.) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed 1  (8 oz.) can "no-salt added" tomato sauce 1 (14.5 oz.) Ro-tel tomatoes with mild green chiles 1  cup water Handful of frozen peas, optional Chopped cilantro or parsley to garnish, optional Salt, as needed Jasmine rice 1. While prepping other ingredients, get the jasmine rice cooking in rice co...