Skip to main content

Monday Sentences

How is it possible that 3/4 of my family is sleeping with the wonderful smell of bacon wafting through the house? I'm making tortellini with zucchini and summer squash for dinner and decided to cook up a little bacon for garnish.

Both kids are sick with a bad cold that has now turned into a persistent cough. They've been sleeping until 7:30am + coughing all night + taking their standard 2-1/2 hour long naps. Hopefully it will clear up without turning into a turkey day ear infection.

Have I mentioned lately how much I love my job and my co-workers?

Following our awful trip to the library on Saturday, the behavioral issues only got worse (perhaps due to the colds??). By Sunday night I was at my wit's end, so I turned on a little Food TV. They pulled their little lawn chairs up, sat down, and started talking about food and cooking for 20 minutes. Melt my heart.

Silas has started randomly counting and Zoe is working on letters. Derek overheard Silas counting chickpeas at lunch last week. Zoe popped up from getting dressed this morning and pointed out (and yelled) 'T' on the butterfly letters poster above the changing table. Then she pointed to 'S' and yelled 'SILAS!!'. I asked her where Z was and she pointed to the number 5. Very close :-)

We have been loving our library books the last few days. Ironically, the hands-down favorite has been It's Library Day.

It's Library Day (Hardcover).Opens in a new window

Both kids snuggled up with me on the couch when I got home from work tonight and we read an old issue of Eating Well magazine. It was the second time in two days that they've done that. Love.

I had fun meeting up with friends two nights in a row this weekend! On Saturday night Teresa and I went to Summer Shack, and last night was the November Mom's Night Out that Wendy organized. So fun to get out of the house with friends!

Since it's soup season I put ham hocks on the grocery list this week. While putting the groceries away we discovered a huge error on our bill - apparently the meat counter is a little nuts with the upcoming holiday! These were tagged as filet mignon and "on sale" for $33.72!!!! Needless to say, Derek headed straight back to the grocery store. They refunded the $$ and sent him on his way with a package of free ham hocks.


Derek's parents came over on Sunday morning to watch the kids while we organized our storage space in the basement. Seeing the Christmas bins made me so excited to decorate! Just need to get through Thanksgiving first...

We finished the front door re-configuration today, just in time to have 17 people here for Thanksgiving! Whew. The entryway rehab involved bringing the bench back out. The kids are learning to sit on the bench to get their shoes and coats on, and each of us has a bin for our winter stuff. This family of 4 has too many coats for the hooks, so Wendy passed along a coat rack they weren't using. Finally, I got a 4-tier shoe rack (although the shoes with laces still have to go high up so that Salvie doesn't eat the laces!). It's the little organizational things that make me soooo happy!!


While going through boxes in the basement we found 3 old cell phones. Silas LOVES his toy phones, so we took out the batteries and put these real phones into the mix. He has carried around the pink RAZR with him since yesterday, and he tried to take it to bed with him tonight. All you hear his him say, "So..... [unintelligble babbling], so......[more babbling], so......". That kid cracks.me.up.

I have so much to be thankful for this Thanksgiving. Sending all my friends and family lots of love, now and always...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Silas' Blog

Well it's been a busy 3 years since I last posted! Stay tuned as we may have more posts coming now that it looks like I have a new contributor... Silas recently read a book called "Starting Your Own Blog", and now he is bound and determined for us to let him start his own blog! We convinced him that he should start out by drafting content and a posting calendar. We made templates this morning and he wrote his first "post" today!

Parks

We decided to get Zoe's haircut on Saturday morning at a place geared towards kids called Snip-Its . Neither Derek nor I anticipated what a meltdown Zoe was going to have. The haircut is half-assed at best and Derek will have to fix it when she's more calm. We were so traumatized that we headed to the park to get the day going on a better foot! We went back to Larz Anderson, the park where the  Psychiatry picnic was held on Thursday . It is really close to our house and is lovely and shaded. I think it's one of my new favorite spots! The kids like it too :) S&Z love playing with wood chips, so there was a lot of that! Snacks were enjoyed on the bench and I tried to get a few pictures of the haircut... Excuse me, I'm chewing pretzels :) This morning we met up with Wendy, Dave, Sydney & Ivy at the Newton Center Playground. It was HOT HOT HOT, and there wasn't too much shade. The kids have inherited my low tolerance for heat, so they spe

York's Wild Kingdom

Friday was our last day of vacation and check-out time at Village by the Sea was 10am. We wanted to do one last fun thing before coming back to Boston, so we headed to York's Wild Kingdom in York, Maine. The zoo had just opened when we got there, and apparently lots of other families had the same idea as us! This zoo is definitely aimed for little kids, and Silas and Zoe (and Derek!) had a blast! Our first stop was the butterfly sanctuary, and this was definitely my favorite part of the day... We had the kids both in and out of the stroller throughout our visit. The zoo was packed with people, so it was a little nuts having them roam free and try to manage an empty double stroller too. But they were happier to get in and out of the stroller at their leisure with all the walking. There were several highlights for the kids - all of which involved feeding the animals from your hand. One was the duck pond, The deer were pretty awesome, As was the petting zoo