Skip to main content

Now that's a salad

Derek and I have been LOVING our weekly farm share this summer. This is the first year we have had a share, and it will definitely not be our last! Every Tuesday it is a surprise to see what we have in the box for the week. We love the large head of green or red leaf lettuce get every week. I have never eaten so many yummy salads in my life! This week our salads were enhanced with radicchio and arugula. I hard-boiled an egg and Derek grilled up a chicken breast and voila!


Other staples of the share so far have been radishes, spring garlic, swiss chard, and beets. We are eating lots of sauteed chard and beet greens with garlic, onions, and red pepper flakes. Delicious! This was our first week of new potatoes, so we did those on the grill along with the chicken breasts. The babies are indirectly getting lots of local, seasonal, organic produce this summer! We received the Beaba Babycook (aka, the magic baby food maker) as a shower gift, so we are hoping to make our own baby food when the time comes!

Everyone asks if I have any pregnancy food cravings. The strangest thing for me is how much I crave SUGAR. For someone who has never had a sweet tooth, it's a big change to enjoy a little sweetness every day. Some weeks Derek will bake me something, I enjoy a Klondike bar here and there, and I can always count on some kind of dessert showing up in the lunch room at work. Everything in moderation, of course, but this is definitely a pregnancy defined by sugar cravings!

Derek finished painting the nursery walls "new grass green" this week! He also decided to paint the ceiling, so as soon as that is done we will be ready to assemble the cribs and set things up!


I'm 24 weeks along right now and things are going well. I am so thankful that I've had such a good pregnancy so far. I'm taking a prenatal yoga class on Sunday mornings and that has been so helpful in keeping me in a good state of physical and mental being. Unfortunately I've been having symptoms of carpal tunnel, which is apparently more prevalent during pregnancy. I'll be talking to the midwife about that at my checkup this week, and my yoga instructor gave me a pose that should help as well. My belly is big enough now that I can't really sit on our couch anymore -- it's just too hard to get up because it sits so low! So I'm very glad we bought the recliner when we did, as that is my best seating option right now :) I continue to walk as much as possible, although at a much slower pace... Derek is great about picking me up from work when he can, so that is much appreciated.

Derek has been working tons of overtime and there is so much to do around the house. We decided last weekend to have a date night on Saturday. We had a nice dinner out and then went to the movies. Believe it or not, we have never gone to a movie in a theatre together before! We figured we should do it while we can! When we get babysitters in the future, our priority will be to see our friends or have a nice dinner out, so there likely won't be many movies in theatres to come. This is fine with us, however, since we don't have much overlap in our movie tastes!

The cats continue to chill and co-exist amidst the house madness. They are both getting check-ups and shots at the vet before the babies arrive, and Salvador will get a long overdue teeth cleaning next month. They have no idea what's ahead for us all in the fall!

Comments

  1. The room & the salad look great! Jen & I totally going to check out a farm share next year.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Silas' Blog

Well it's been a busy 3 years since I last posted! Stay tuned as we may have more posts coming now that it looks like I have a new contributor... Silas recently read a book called "Starting Your Own Blog", and now he is bound and determined for us to let him start his own blog! We convinced him that he should start out by drafting content and a posting calendar. We made templates this morning and he wrote his first "post" today!

Parks

We decided to get Zoe's haircut on Saturday morning at a place geared towards kids called Snip-Its . Neither Derek nor I anticipated what a meltdown Zoe was going to have. The haircut is half-assed at best and Derek will have to fix it when she's more calm. We were so traumatized that we headed to the park to get the day going on a better foot! We went back to Larz Anderson, the park where the  Psychiatry picnic was held on Thursday . It is really close to our house and is lovely and shaded. I think it's one of my new favorite spots! The kids like it too :) S&Z love playing with wood chips, so there was a lot of that! Snacks were enjoyed on the bench and I tried to get a few pictures of the haircut... Excuse me, I'm chewing pretzels :) This morning we met up with Wendy, Dave, Sydney & Ivy at the Newton Center Playground. It was HOT HOT HOT, and there wasn't too much shade. The kids have inherited my low tolerance for heat, so they spe

York's Wild Kingdom

Friday was our last day of vacation and check-out time at Village by the Sea was 10am. We wanted to do one last fun thing before coming back to Boston, so we headed to York's Wild Kingdom in York, Maine. The zoo had just opened when we got there, and apparently lots of other families had the same idea as us! This zoo is definitely aimed for little kids, and Silas and Zoe (and Derek!) had a blast! Our first stop was the butterfly sanctuary, and this was definitely my favorite part of the day... We had the kids both in and out of the stroller throughout our visit. The zoo was packed with people, so it was a little nuts having them roam free and try to manage an empty double stroller too. But they were happier to get in and out of the stroller at their leisure with all the walking. There were several highlights for the kids - all of which involved feeding the animals from your hand. One was the duck pond, The deer were pretty awesome, As was the petting zoo